[lit-ideas] Re: Keith Donnellan 1931-2015

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 06:58:27 +0000

He was ill, will be missed by most

From: lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Robert Paul
Sent: 22 February 2015 03:14he was ill
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Keith Donnellan 1931-2015

Keith Donnellan died yesterday. I have no more details. I'm sure there will
soon be some.

Robert Paul

I'm afraid that JL's account is mostly mistaken.

'At Cornell, Max Black called Donnellan (who was his graduate student)
"Donnell'an". Donnellan was too shy to correct Black -- 'in awe' of Black,
even. (Donnellan's preferred, 'correct', pronunciation was, of course,
"Donn'ellan"). It was only when Donnellan moved to UCLA that the pronunciation
"Do'nnellan" became more standard: he was then allowed to set the record
straight.'