[lit-ideas] Keith Donnellan 1931-2015

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 17:13:56 -0800

Keith Donnellan died yesterday. I have no more details. I'm sure there will
soon be some.

Robert Paul

I'm afraid that JL's account is mostly mistaken.

'At Cornell, Max Black called Donnellan (who was his graduate student)
"Donnell'an". Donnellan was too shy to correct Black -- 'in awe' of Black,
even. (Donnellan's preferred, 'correct', pronunciation was, of course,
 "Donn'ellan"). It was only when Donnellan moved to UCLA that the
pronunciation "Do'nnellan" became more standard: he was then allowed to set
the record straight.'