[lit-ideas] Re: Keil

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:39:15 +0100

On 9-Feb-09, at 10:55 PM, erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Where is Chris Bruce?  I will be in Hemmoor this July.

On 10-Feb-09, at 12:44 AM, Mike Geary wrote:

Let me get this straight. You wrote Hemmoor instead of Kiel and you blame the phone?

I'm here.

Hemmoor is (by Canadian & American standards) just down the road from Kiel (about 120 km), abut half-way (as die Krahe flies) to Bremen.

Hemmoor is (among other things) the home of the Deutsches Zementmuseum Hemmoor. (The Portland Cement Factory in Hemmoor provided the cement for the building of the Statue of Liberty - yes, *the* Statue of Liberty.)

http://www.zementmuseum-hemmoor.de/

One of the Portland Cement Factory quarries is now filled with water and used as a scuba-diving center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95g8TqUYV6c

Perhaps Erin will tell us which of the aforementioned attractions (note my 'among other things') is bringing her to Norddeutschland.

Chris Bruce
still in
Kiel, Germany
(and reachable at cblists@xxxxxxxx - although I will be off on a dendrological seminar and 'out of touch' from 12-15 February)