[lit-ideas] Katyusha

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:56:17 -0400

"Katyusha Rockets" have been in the news lately.  I wonder how many people know
"Katyusha" is just the endearing, diminutive version of a girl's name,
Katherine, comparable to Katie.  It comes from a Russian WWII song.  Below is a
site of Soviet era WWII songs.  Katyusha is unfortunately done by the Red Army
Choir, which is okay except that in my opinion all their stuff sounds the same.
 The Lonely Accordion is also one of my favorites, very melodic and singable,
about accordion notes looking for someone in the shadows.  What can be more
Soviet era Russian than an accordion, right?  I didn't download any of these so
I'm assuming it's the same song I'm thinking of.  I generally like songs from
the 40's and 50's, American, Russian or any other kind.

http://www.russia-in-us.com/Music/Collections/Ofman/russianestrada/

Below are the actual lyrics to Katyusha, in Russian, transliterated and with a
really bad translation.  It's really a nice song.  I doubt it's making a come
back.  Maybe Bette Midler will do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyusha_%28Song%29