[lit-ideas] Re: Juliet Smells A Rat

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:47:33 EDT

In a message dated 4/7/2009 4:41:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx writes:

John:  Ylglfdlaal adve glea baoeka dse ea  bpelaco
coaoge gleoac.   Backea braqeqce lcaeve gprawee.

-----

That much I'll grant. But then perhaps 'sound' is the correct word:

"It sounded horrible" -- rather than "I heard it horrible".

Transferring into the agentive for 'smell' we get:

"It smells horrible". --- correcting the incorrect, "I smell  horribly"?

No. The opposite. It would be incorrect to say,

"It tastes horrible", "It smells horrible". One has to stick with the
grammatical:

"I smell horrible", "I taste horrible".

Geary will object:

The distinction between "I smell horrible" and "It smells  horrible"

"I smell horrible" is _subjective_, 'It smells horrible' _pretends_,
assumes, to be objective. But there's no such thing. That's why Juliet smells a
 rat.
Roses don't smell (as sweet or as bitter -- they don't smell --  period).

_She_ can smell a rose by any other name.

"Doff thy name", she says to Romeo.

O. T. O. H., my mother tells me that oftentimes females fall for the
accidentalia in a man, including his titles, cars, real estate, and all that
Aristotle called 'proprium' _even_. Never the essence.

JL

   "If you don't know me by know, you will never never never  know me"

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221421323x1201417385/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
%3D62%26bcd%3DAprilfooterNO62)