[lit-ideas] Juliet Smells A Rat

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 21:35:45 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/2009 9:05:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The thing is roses cannot smell.  No matter  how hard they try, they can't.

----

What an excellent  thought.

And how confusing it (all) is. Indeed, J. O. Urmson wrote about  this ("The
Object of the Five Senses") in the Annual Philosophical Lecture  (Henriette
Herz Trust) at the British Academy in Cumberland House,  London.

Urmson notes:

"The senses are five".

With 'smell',  as Geary notes, the grammar is ambiguous.

There's also the animal  difference. A blood hound for example, smells better
than a  chihuahua.

And perhaps females smell better than males? Dunno, but let's  recall it's
Juliet who notes the 'differAnce':

'Tis but thy name

    [and not the name's denotatum -- i.e. your body that I  desire]

that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's  Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other  part
Belonging to a man.

    [she's thinking, 'prick']

O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By  any other name would smell as sweet;

[Note, 'a rose', not  '_the_ rose'.
           And she does  not complete the comparative, 'as sweet' ... as what?

Possible expansions for Juliet's non-sequitur:

(i) A rose by any other name would smell as sweet as a rose by _this_  name.
(ii) A rose by any other name would smell as sweet --- as my armpit.

]

So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,

[But she is non-sequitur -- she was  talking "Montague's prick"
        and now it's Romeo's prick. Is  she on a first-name basis, or what?]

Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo,  doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all  myself.

     [i.e. possess me]

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221621488x1201450096/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID