[lit-ideas] Re: Joseph Hansen

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:16:56 +0000

Saturday, December 11, 2004, 2:41:41 PM, Veronica Caley wrote:

VC> Thanks Judy.  I am really glad you posted this because I thought there was
VC> only one of a series of detective stories in which the good guy is gay.

No -- and the first books in the series are really good (I thought they became
formulaic later)

VC> One of our favorites has been an author called Jonathan Kellerman.  The
VC> author is actually a child psychologist.  His gay police detective is Milo
VC> who works with the hero, Alex Delaware who is a child psychologist in the
VC> novels also.  He lives with a woman named Robin who is a luthier, sometimes
VC> to the rich and famous.  His current books are different from this, though
VC> I haven't read them.

I know the series -- I have the latest one, which is better than some of the
earlier ones (he was getting formulaic too). Hansen is a lot more explicit, you
should take a look at them. (I don't like the sound of that but can't think how
to rephrase it.) Also it's important I'd say that the hero, the main character,
is gay.

Reginald Hill's police detective has a gay sergeant who's a major part of the
books and the TV series