[lit-ideas] "Jose, can you see?"

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:11:34 -0700

A version of the US national anthem (The Star Spangled Banner) will be released in Spanish on May 1st as part of the nationwide protests over the immigration issue.

This has already provoked violent reaction from rightwing radio talk hosts.

Here's Bush's comments on the new version this morning (yes, he actually said
this):

"One of the things that's very important is, when we debate this issue, that we not lose our national soul," the president exclaimed. "One of the great things about America is that we've been able to take people from all walks of life bound as one nation under God. And that's the challenge ahead of us."

Bush went on to say:

"I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn
English."

Well, yes. Starting with anyone who pretends to be president.

On Monday, May 1st, there will be massive demonstrations and a national boycott
in the USA.

Six months ago, about 40% of Latinos considered themselves Republican. But the Republicans in the House passed a bill to criminalize the illegal immigrants, and, when that became public, the Republicans declared that it was Democrats who had passed the bill (in a Republican-controlled House). Nobody fell for that lie.

So now, Latino support for Republicans is 2%. With a 3% margin of error, it could actually be zero.

Hear the Star Spangled Banner in Spanish at :

http://www.realcities.com/multimedia/nationalchannel/news/KRT_Packages/archive/042806_anthem/index.htm

Another version at

http://www.hispanicad.com/banners2/uploadfiles/Star%20Spangled%20Banner.mp3

yrs,