[lit-ideas] Jon Kabat-Zinn

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 14:41:28 -0800 (PST)

I read this but haven't had time to listen to it.  The only thing I can say
about it without beating this topic to death is the line about Jon Kabat-Zinn.
The rest of this article seems the usual purple prose platitudes and
abstractions about artists that really don't say a whole lot, at least not to
me.  I read John Kabat-Zinn's book Full Catastrophe Living back in the 90's.
It's about full catastrophe living.  In other words, whatever life hits you
with, whether it be illness or any other bad thing, rather than run from it,
embrace it and live it fully.  Mindfulness and relaxation are a big part of
full catastrophe living. Drop the distractions and cradle your demon as it
were.  Given that they're making a connection between Cohen's work and John
Kabat-Zinn's book, I'm seeing at least some corroboration that the poem is at
least to some extent as discussed; Leonard Cohen is in fact embracing life's
bad things as well as good
 things.  Without that his work would be in the feel good category. It seems to
me that reading someone on multiple levels enhances an artist.

Andy