[lit-ideas] Re: Joke

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 01:38:10 -0400

>>I remember the name of every teacher and professor I've ever had since grade 1.

Me too, Walter.

In 8th grade, I had a social studies teacher named Edith Williams. She looked like Bettie Davis, if Bettie Davis had been raised Amish. She was about 60 and lived with her sister. Miss Williams kept a chair at the front of the class for her dead father. Vexed by some unreadable chafe, she'd abruptly march down the middle aisle of the classroom, spraying everyone with an aerosol disinfectant.

Her social studies class may have been my first clue that authority could be insane. Fifteen years later, I'd be reminded of the Miss Williams and her sister by two characters in John Gardner's _Sunlight Dialogues_.