[lit-ideas] Join The MMM

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 07:58:22 -0500

Since JL has broached the subject of The Memphis Metaphysical Ministry
(formerly known as The Seattle School of Scholasticism), I, as Dean, feel it
incumbent upon me to explain our mission to those unfamiliar with our noble
work.

As you know, there are many people out there who simply don't know the first
thing about thinking.  "Couldn't think their way out of a paper bag" as the
saying goes.  We here at the Memphis Metaphysical Ministry have taken it upon
ourselves to teach the world to think in perfect harmony.  We teach people to
think apple trees and honey bees and snow white turtle doves.  And why don't
all people think that way, you might wonder.  Well, we believe as JL pointed
out in his post -- "The focus [in most schools] is on modus tollendo tollens.
Rather than ponendo."  Yes, all that mumbo-jumbo.  Junk it, we say.  Just let
your mind go.  Be free.  It's not for nothing that William Blake is our patron
saint.  And so we teach Modus Nintendo tollens.  Our teaching methods are the
very model of a modern major pedagogical institution.  MNT is, of course, a
video game and through it we teach our students to recognize Philosophers and
to shoot them down before they can destroy them through their powers of
declaration: "Illogical" and "Fallacy" and "Nonsense" and "Balderdash".  Our
students must score 10,000 Philosophy Professors before commencement.  MNT has
been proven to enable even very mediocre students to detect linear thinking in
all but the most subtle arguments, such as perhaps one might find in Carroll.
But we need your help.  Our software programmers insist on being paid.  We'd
like to shoot them down, but not just yet, like computer viruses, new ways of
being rational keep cropping up, therefore we are turning to you, our friends
in free-thinking, for a financial donation during this bi-weekly Pledge Week.
A contribution equal to your tax return could help us continue to fight the
tyranny of linear thought.

Yours in the wisdom of Blake,
J. Michael Geary
Founder and Dean