[lit-ideas] John Kerry's Metalinguistic Negation

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:12:26 EDT

From

_http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3589879&thesection=news&th
esubsection=world_
(http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3589879&thesection=news&thesubsection=world)

Rupert Cornwell, 'Kerry drafts in Clinton aides'  -- Sept
8 2004
Iraq was "the wrong war in the wrong place
    at the wrong time", Kerry said, under
    questioning from the audience.

    "I would not have done one thing differently,
    I would have done everything differently."

---- Note that in logical terms, this is metalinguistic in that 'would have
done everything' _logically entails_ 'would have done one thing', rather than
'would _not_ have done one thing' -- so whatever Kerry is _negating_ is --
via  Grice's 'informativeness -- something 'metalinguistic'. Subtle and
interesting.

Maybe someone can provide the logical-form symbolization?

Cheers,

JL