[lit-ideas] Re: Jihad Against Hezbollah

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 14:58:18 -0700

Omar wrote:

*Perhaps we could go back to WWII. Did the British
immediately evacuate London when it became clear that
the Germans would be bombing it ? Did the Soviet
troops never place themselves in the vicinity of
civilians in Leningrad and Stalingrad ?

Short answer: yes, the British did. They made plans to evacuate ca. 1.5 million children, pregnant women, and other non-essential civilians, although eventually only ca. 600,000 were.

As for Stalingrad, it's my understanding that there would have been nowhere to evacuate civilians to, Stalingrad being, to put it mildly, surrounded. Moreover, civilians who could, fought in the streets against the Germans.

Robert Paul