[lit-ideas] Re: Jihad Against Hezbollah

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 14:47:32 -0700

Judith Evans wrote:

Invaders?  I thought most of the Viet Cong came from South
Vietnam.
(As we're dealing in complexities.)

This is true; and the definition of 'invaders' doesn't support what I said. Without help from North Vietnam, the Viet Cong, or People's Liberation Armed Forces would not have flourished. The PLAF) were 'strictly subordinated to the general staff in Hanoi.

In any case, I was thinking of the North Vietnamese army, and it was careless of me to confuse the two. Although I don't for the most part trust Wikipedia, the following passage from it does seem helpful at sorting out the players.

"Within the United States, the Vietnam War is commonly thought of as a guerrilla war. However this is a simplification of a much more complex situation which followed the pattern outlined by Maoist theory.

"The National Liberation Front (NLF), drawing its ranks from the South Vietnamese peasantry and working class, used guerrilla tactics in the early phases of the war. However, by 1965 when U.S. involvement escalated, the National Liberation Front was in the process of being supplanted by regular units of the North Vietnamese Army.

"The NVA regiments organized along traditional military lines, were supplied via the Ho Chi Minh trail rather than living off the land, and had access to weapons such as tanks and artillery which are not normally used by guerrilla forces.

"Over time, more of the fighting was conducted by the North Vietnamese Army and the character of the war become increasingly conventional. The final offensive into South Vietnam in 1975 was a mostly conventional military operation in which guerilla warfare played a minor, supporting role.

 > Would you accept _any_ figure? And why is this 'slim say-so'
to you

I think you mean "why is this 'say-so' 'slim' to you?".  I think
the answer may be that the source is  simply "a businessman".
Globalsecurity.org says Iran probably gives Hezbollah "financial
assistance and military
assistance worth about $25-50 million".  (I didn't check
further.)

I have to confess that I don't see any meaningful distinction between the two expressions. 'Slim say-so' was a quote and I assumed that the person who said it saw it as, to her, say-so that was slim. 'It looks ø to me,' and 'To me it looks ø,' to me the same look. But this is not what we really want to talk about, I think.

Judy is right to suggest that I did wonder why to Ursula this claim was 'slim,' i.e., fishy, incomplete, not well-supported; for to wonder those things usually means that the skeptic is skeptical for a reason.

Be that as it may. The businessman quoted by the New Yorker writer is himself relying on something he's heard, and is saying, in effect, that if it's true that Hezbollah has received $100 million from Iran, then one would wonder why it hadn't done more to provide for the Lebanese civilians in harm's way. (The New Yorker writer does visit one shelter.)
The $100 million figure comes from a June report to the US Congress from the Congressional Research Service of the Library of Congress. Maybe that's where he 'heard' it.

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute