[lit-ideas] Re: Jewish Refugees from Arab countries

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:54:28 -0700 (PDT)

> I plugged this into google: "Jewish Refugees from
> Arab countries" - and this
> was only the first thing that I got: There are many,
> many other links to
> explore.

There are many Jews who left or fled or were evicted
from Arab countries - this is not a new revelation.
But how can they be called refugees if they went to
live in Israel, and Israel is supposed to be a "Jewish
state" ? In Israel, they are not refered to as
'refugees,' any more than the 700 to 800 000 who
immigrated from the former Soviet countries.

> And this is what was written:.....
>
> "The American Sephardi Federation (ASF), in
> cooperation with the government
> of Israel and other organizations, is leading an
> effort to document the
> property and possessions left behind by Jews who
> were forced to flee Arab
> countries and to chronicle their experience. To
> create an enduring record of
> this historic injustice, ASF seeks far-reaching
> support.

*Yes. Israel never supported this initiative, for
obvious reasons that it would legitimate similar
claims by the Palestinian refugees. That is why you
haven't heard about it before.

*Frankly, I don't care.

O.K.