[lit-ideas] Re: Jesus Wins Again!

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 18:03:42 -0500

What is the present?  There is no past in the sense that time is foreclosed
as soon as the second goes by; the future doesn't exist, which may be why
God fits so well in it; and the present never wants to stay still.
Apologies to the gazillion people who have asked this question before me,
but, given that you mention it again, it must be one of the few things that
is eternally in the present.  Just wondering, how do you know God is in the
future?  What do you know that we don't know?  What about all the zapping
God has done?  That's in the past, so God must have been in the past.
Zeno's arrow is God's little practical joke, his joke-poke.  I'll bet if
you asked God, he'd whisper in your ear, you're not stuck in the present,
little human.  You're plain stuck!  Ha!  And then he'd give a big belly
laugh, a big guffaw, and climb down your chimney ... No, wait, it's still
November ...

Okay, okay, enough.  Tonight's movie:  a vicarious trip to Tibet, or that's
what I think it is.  Will revert as to whether God is really sitting on
that mountaintop ...  If he is, no doubt he'll soon be on the endangered
species list, poached out of existence.  Wait.  Wrong decade.  God was dead
in the 1960's.  Never mind, gotta start lacing up my virtual crampons now

Zenophobically,
Isabel Archer