[lit-ideas] JUST THE FACTS, MA'AM.

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 14:29:56 -0500

Mike: Of course I could be wrong as I could well be misreading Nietzsche especially given that I've only read the underlined parts of Nietzsche.

Eric: This means

1. Mike traveled to the village of Röcken (between Leizpig and Weißenfels in today's German State of Sachse-Anhalt);

2. Exhumed Nietzsche's body;

3. Employed a highlighter (presumably yellow; neon-pink is tacky) or a pen or a pencil; and

4. Underlined parts of Nietzsche;

5. Read those underlined parts.

Mike read Nietzsche in translation, which is itself an interpretation. As for resorting to Nietzsche's notebooks to verify a Nietzschean position, that's tenuous. Nietzsche routinely contradicts himself in his notebooks, and used his notebooks to think through problems that interested him.

A good resource is: _Philosophy and Truth: Selections from Nietzsche's Notebooks of the Early 1870's_, edited and translated by Daniel Breazeale, Humanity Books, 1999.