[lit-ideas] Re: JSTOR

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 13:51:49 -0800

On Dec 7, 2007, at 12:43 PM, Eric Yost wrote:

Seriously, though ... why isn't JSTOR free for all searchers? Without a subscription to JSTOR, one must routinely start a Google Scholar search on page 19 of the results. You'd think all the colleges and universities could underwrite more democratic access to knowledge. Jefferson's natural aristocracy and all that. Or maybe it would just open up a gigantic new can of plagiarism methods...

I e-mailed our college's librarian (not Serenity Ibsen, the other one) asking for access. She wrote back wanting my help in choosing which package our college needs. Unlimited access is apparently the sort of pipe dream that only Mutton can afford. Or is Mutton also restricted in some way, making do possibly with the "Prize Ewe over Fifty Pounds" package?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon