[lit-ideas] Re: JOE THE COSSACK PLUMBER

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 03:01:41 -0400

>> ... the opera Yevgeny Onegin. Eric, are you familiar with it?

Sure a dark ending, certainly seems darker than the digressive poem's ending, but it's got a peasant dance. Everybody loves a peasant dance. You can't get too many of those.

It's Tchaikovsky...what more to say? I heard it once. Though it's a standard workhorse of opera, it's not a favorite. (When it comes to vocal music, I'm more of an Italian opera, French art song, Schubert lieder, Josquin des Prez bloke.) If I had to sort through Russian vocal music for favorites, I'd pick Mussorgsky's _Boris Godunov_ (Karajan doing Rimsky's rewrite), Chaliapin singing Mussorgsky's "The Song of the Flea" or Rachmaninoff's _Vespers_ in the classic Alexander Sveshnikov recording.

Blathering on,
Opinions-R-Us