[lit-ideas] Re: JLS Apologizes to the JLS

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:12:07 -0800

First of all, it's the Tanakh, the Jewish Scriptures. The Jewish God.

Actually, it's the Babylonian gods (plural). The Torah copied an existing text. See the Epic of Gilgamesh:

"The gods were frightened by the Flood,
and retreated, ascending to the heaven of Anu.
The gods were cowering like dogs, crouching by the outer wall.
Ishtar shrieked like a woman in childbirth,
the sweet-voiced Mistress of the Gods wailed:
'The olden days have alas turned to clay,
because I said evil things in the Assembly of the Gods!
How could I say evil things in the Assembly of the Gods,
ordering a catastrophe to destroy my people!!
No sooner have I given birth to my dear people
than they fill the sea like so many fish!'
The gods--those of the Anunnaki--were weeping with her,
the gods humbly sat weeping, sobbing with grief,
their lips burning, parched with thirst."

http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/mesopotamian/gilgamesh/tab11.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilgamesh_flood_myth

yrs,