[lit-ideas] Re: J.B.Hype

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:07:45 -0700

adriano palma wrote:

> I did read austerlitz....

I was interested in Sebald's fascination with Wittgenstein. (Austerlitz reminds the nameless narrator of Wittgenstein; a photo of Wittgenstein's eyes appears on p. 5; his ubiquitous knapsack is referred to; the comparison of language to an 'ancient city' and its newer suburbs in Investigations §18 shows up in a near-quote; a Count Ludwig Wittgenstein was one of the Russian generals at the Battle of Austerlitz, etc.) What's puzzling is that these allusions seem to go absolutely nowhere.

I was wondering if anyone could shed light on this.

Robert Paul
Reed College