[lit-ideas] It's not the color it's the Humemidity

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 23:47:06 -0500

I'm confused.  We all know there's no such thing as color, there's just varying
wavelengths of reflected light.  Names given to specific  wavelengths are
totally arbitrary as is the choice of wavelength band to which that name
applies.  There's no reason not to call all the visible wavelength "blue".  It
you can see it, it's blue.  But we have found it useful to ascribe arbitrary
names to arbitrary bands of wavelengths.  And, of course, what "color" one sees
-- such as the green of grass -- is an outright lie, grass isn't green, the
wavelength corresponding to what we call green is the wavelength that grass
rejects, throws off, dispenses with -- green is grass's trash wavelengths of
electromagnetic radiation.   Be glad it's not orange.

Here's my question.  We live analog lives but we know that physics is discrete.
 As an analog being I give wide berth to the blues.  Were I  a physicist, I can
imagine denying any "shades of blue" in favor of claiming each discrete
wavelength within the " blue" wavelength band a different color, however many
hundreds, thousands, millions that might be wouldn't matter, precision matters
in physics.  But I'm not a physicist, thank God, and never could be given my
propensities, nor a philosopher and never could be given my lackadasicalness.
But this question seems to me to transcend physics and philosophy.  It's about
interior decoration.

Mike Geary
Memphis