[lit-ideas] Re: It's gone quiet

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:05:19 -0700

I remember Westerns on the television. The U.S. cavalry officer would crawl forward to the sergeant, who is at a listening post.

 "Hear anything sergeant?"
"I don't like it, sir.  It's quiet."
"Too quiet.  They're up to something."
And then someone was bound to get an arrow in the chest.  Thwok!

To stave off such an outcome, I'm writing to mention the NCAA 10,000 meter race, which was won on Thursday by Shadrack Songok or Texas A & M. Galen Rupp of Oregon was second. Rupp's teammate Shadrack Kiptoo-Biwott was ninth. The Oregonian says that "Songok's late kick was more than Rupp could handle."

Now you know.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon