[lit-ideas] It's I

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 10:59:24 EDT

In a message dated 5/27/2010 4:28:17  A.M., jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx
writes:
"I am me."  It doesn't mean  I'm the person standing in from of you, it
could mean many things depending on  the circumstances in which it was uttered
-- I'm me!  I'm  not.....(whatever, whoever) you think I am or should be or
need me to  be.

----

The problem here is A. G. N. Flew's objection to H. P. Grice's analysis.
Flew objected to Flew ("Philosophy and Language", Philosophical Quarterly,
1955)  that "I" and "me" do not mean the same thing. Grice had used "I" and
"me" as  interchangeable in his earlier "Personal identity" (Mind, 1941).
"Surely, an  analysis of "I" should provide us with an analysis of "me", too".

----

Oddly, I miss all of Geary's implicatures.

He knocks at the door:

"It's I".

That's perfectly correct and grammatical and yields no implicature. The
"it" is Geary", or "I", strictly. I am supposed to recover 'what is
EXplicated'  by the tone of voice. Surely everybody who utters "It's I" is HIM.
But
the  implicature is trivial to the point of almost not being 'one': "It's I"
thus  says that "I is it".

(The similar, "It's me", on the other hand, is ungrammatical).

----

JLS