[lit-ideas] Re: It is worth a story ...

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 09:44:59 -0700

On Jun 12, 2012, at 6:51 AM, John Wager wrote:

> Four thoughts:
>
> 1.  It is not just a sad thing to forget history, forgetfulness is an
> absolutely essential gift and a necessary condition to live. Of course SOME
> of us should be burdened with memory, so that the horrible events of the past
> are not continued, but those so burdened should be singled out as exceptional
> individuals who have taken on a burden that normal people should not have to
> bear. If we ALL remembered the past, NONE of us would be able to get past the
> injuries and injustices and harm and murder and warfare of the past; we would
> be living in a war of all against all, because everybody has some connection
> to some murderous past.  The only way to continue to live is to forget that
> the Japanese tried to murder my father, or that the Vietnamese tried to
> murder me, so that I can go to Tokyo and feel "safe" and my daughter could go
> to Vietnam and also feel safe. Thank God for such forgetfulness! It allows us
> all to get along, despite our past.

My history of forgetting is currently stalled, but it may one day make the
point that attitudes to forgetting have changed over time.

> 3. The above is written by a 66 year old man who finds that forgetfulness is
> indeed a personal blessing; it is not as essential to remember nearly as much
> as I thought it would be essential to remember when I was a young 'un looking
> at those really old 66 year old men around me.  Linda in "Death of a
> Salesman" says "Life is a casting-off" and this is true in personal memory as
> well as collective memory.  What is essential and what is accidental is
> decided by what is remembered and what is forgotten.

I do, however, envy the one daughter who has extraordinary recall.  I can sing
a couple of lines of this and that; she recalls all the words *and* the tune.

> 4.  The young German historian below is a good teacher.  Of course it's more
> difficult in history to look for what's not there, but in reading an author,
> it's easier to read for what he has not written. That's a higher-level
> reading skill not taught as much as it should be.  After finishing
> Aristotle's Ethics, what did he not write about that he could have but that
> he mostly left out?  After finishing a novel, what parts of the story did the
> author leave out, purposefully? What part of a post is the part that nobody
> replies to?

The reason I remember this fellow is that I've been taking the idea seriously
since we first discussed it.  It's a cliche in art that the negative space is
compositionally as important as the positive space.  Not so in other fields.
We know it's there; the question is how to report it and whether it has much
meaning.

David Ritchie,
squinting between raindrops in
Portland, Oregon