[lit-ideas] It Goes Without Showing

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 19:16:56 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 5/14/2014 6:45:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
It seems that Donal is going into lingiustic  philosophy as well.

quoting:

"No, it's not. It's not. It's really not.*
This construction may be an  example, btw, of one that shows its sense -
and where it would miss that sense  to interpret it merely as a set of
"otiose" repetitions. (We may say the sense  it shows is, in part, one where
writing imitates a common aspect of speech,  where speech sometimes shows this
kind of repetitious emphasis.)"

One problem here is that what McEvoy states the thing _shows_ he manages to
 _say_.

Actually, the 'dictiveness' (versus what I call the 'ostensiveness') is
accountable in terms of conversational implicature. One 'maxim' goes:

do not be more informative than is required.

But McEvoy's utterance was, inter alia,

It's not. It's not.

It may be argued that the second 'it's not' is over-informative, and
indeed, to quote McEvoy's, 'repetious[ly] emphatic' if not an 'otiosity'. But
'conversational implicatures' are ESPECIALLY _triggered_ when maxims such as
those are _flouted_. On the other hand, while if Witters wants to give a
mystic  status to 'what is shown' because it 'cannot be said', that remains
some sort of  'wishful thinking' wherever we find ways of _saying_ what is
_shown_.

Cheers,

Speranza