[lit-ideas] Re: Israel's Invasion Pretext UnderFire

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:53:21 -0400

All right, I guess I have the energy for ONE more go.

AA: During a war, yeah, there always is rubble to show. And tanks. They don't
show dead bodies, though, so we get an idea that war isn't really that bad.

I'm with you, they SHOULD show full on decapitations, amputations, ripped out guts, drawn, quartered remains, eyesockets etc.

That's not true.  I'm always commenting on how the Jews were persecuted
through the ages.  Israel is a different story.  But even there their
eyeing that area goes back to the 19th century.  They need to say that they
were acting out of a 19th century impulse that no longer applies, clear the
slate and get on with sharing the area.  Short of that, there is no other
way.

I agree and [evidently] there is not THAT way either. That's why the fighting continues. I'm a pacifist really, until there are no options.

> The point is... I wouldn't send 26 posts on a bike race to Lit-Ideas.

And if you did, what of it? Would you be morally superior in some way?

Wholly shit!

> >AA:I don't know what war you're referring to, but in issues we've talked
> >about, you're solidly on the side of pharma and the rest of it.
>
> I'm not solidly on the side of pharma. You have tragically misread me
once or twice and perpetuated that fallacy.

That's why we have to agree to disagree all the time.

Nah... you are holding a grudge that isn't even worth holding.

>Anyway, as far as "the war at home" remark goes, I'm much to busy with my life HERE, 10,000 miles from THERE
> and it's hard enough just complaining to company x to give me straight service that I paid for. It's like Bush is completely ignoring the
citizens because of "foreign policy" and the "war on terra" to care about you
guys.

Bush doesn't care about this country. He cares about the elites.  His war
on terror is about shoring up oil for the elites.  He said his base is
billionaires, the have-mores.

Yeah, too bad for you.

> Everybody gets so wrapped up in world events that they sometimes forget
> that they are part of the world. And as part of world, we have to keep
our part nice, so that the rest might say "oh, that's how it's done". I think
> it's called leading by example or something. But, I think that the
example is completely lost on the people from that area.

What example?  Like invading a country you mean?  Our invasion legitimized
Putin's role in Chechnya.  Right, lead by example.  Show 'em how it's done.

When I was talking 'our', I'm talking Canada.

So... I don't even bother holding out hope. Peaceful co-existence just doesn't even seem like an
option.

It's there but the species is too war-like.  They want to sit on high
horses with guns until they fall off.  Then maybe there's a chance, and
maybe not.

I guess that's your mantra "the species is too war-like". What species are you: Polystyrene?

AA: And how do you expect them to pay for anything? You want them to get on
with life, yet the Israelis are allowed to keep talking about the Holocaust. The Palestinians should forget, the Israelis should never
forget. Something like that?

You don't have to forget that your mother has died to go on with life. You don't have to forget your child died to get on with life. There are ways of dealing.
You can learn from bad episodes without holding grudges. You should try it some time.

Because they're not being financed by anybody.  Because they've got PTSD
and need food and water.  You want them to pull themselves up by the
bootstraps when they have no boots.  You're kidding, right?  The Israelis
have the fifth largest military because they're a client state of the U.S.

I agree... they have been financed and are being financed and it's SIMPLY because the US LIKE their geographical position. But ask yourself this -- why don't they get into cahoots with other nations in the area, like say Saudi Arabia -- oh wait, they are. Nuff said.

> If Iran subsidizes them with weapons? Of course. I can't see people
> complaining about feeding some people.

We subsidize Israel with weapons. Anything wrong with that?

Of course there is. I never said there wasn't.

AA; Maybe the U.S. can give them a few jet fighters.  That would be a start,
don't you think?  And actually, all we do is throw rocks too, but we call
them bombs.  Looks like you're sitting on a pretty high horse too.

I'm not sitting on any fucking horse. I'm not preaching moral superiority. I'm not the one making cloaking assessment of "the species" as if I'm an alien.

Or one can't impose one's lifestyle on others.  None of the preconditions
for democracy were there when we invaded.  Our superior selves never took
the time to find that out.

Once again, I'm not a member of the "our" you talk about. I KNOW that democracy won't work for those people. Never said it would.

superior intelligence in thinking we'd be loved as liberators and occupiers. In fact, Wolfowitz was so sure we'd be loved they actively
discouraged any post war planning.

Stupid Wolfowitz.

AA: Yes, there's a solution.  But maybe they need to prove to themselves that
military solutions don't work before they give peace a chance.  If we don't
blow up the world in the meantime.

The world? What exactly is 'the world'?

I have learned to hate this list. And that's the truth.

But you'll NEVER stop biting the ankles.

paul