[lit-ideas] Re: Israel's Invasion Pretext UnderFire

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:02:09 -0500

I accede to Omar's clarifications about the establishment and recognition of Israel. I was wanting only to address Irene's insistence that Israel stole the land from the Palestinians. If anyone "stole" the land, it was the U.S. and the European countries, who acted, I believe, both out of guilt for the Holocaust and in a desire to establish a European state (the returning Jews were European for the most part) in the Middle East.

Israel has never failed to disappoint me when it comes to dealing with her neighbors. Her leaders cannot think outside brute military responses and her neighbors are hopeless fools who would rather cut off their own throats and those of their children than work together towards a mutual peace. Hopefully, some Gandhi will emerge to lead both sides to peace. In the meantime the blood continues to flow and I curse them both.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Omar Kusturica" <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>