[lit-ideas] Re: Israeli courts and use of human shields

  • From: "Steven G. Cameron" <stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:07:15 -0500

Golda Meir: "We will have peace in the Middle East when the Arabs love
their children more than they hate the Jews."

Soldiers find bomb on 10-year-old's cart

By Arnon Regular

Israeli soldiers found an explosive charge on a cart pushed by a
10-year-old Palestinian boy at the Hawara road block south of Nablus.

The soldiers released the boy after it transpired that he did not know
what was in the bag he was carrying through the barricade.

Abdallah Quran, of the Balata refugee camp east of Nablus, makes a
living by transferring bags from one side of the road block to the
other. He told the soldiers that every day after school, where he
attends the fourth grade, he takes his cart to the Hawara barricade to
help invalids and women transfer their bags in his cart, while they wait
in line for the security checks.

"Yesterday I came to the barricade as usual and started shouting `who
wants to transfer their bags to the other side?'" he said.

"A few people piled on their bags, and I waited for a few more because I
get paid for every bag. A few people put their bag on my cart, and I
don't remember who put the bag with the bomb," he said.

Children with donkeys and carts transporting bags and packages for NIS
5-NIS 10 per item are a common sight at every roadblock in the
territories. Invalids, women and others who have difficulty carry their
bags during the long wait in the lines use their services. At the Hawara
barricade Quran and a few other children, who are known to the soldiers,
collect the bags on one side of the barricade, then stand in the car
line where they unload them in front of the soldiers. After the security
check, they put the bags on the cart again and haul them to the other
side of the check point.

Yesterday, one of the bags on Quran's cart looked suspicious to the
soldiers. They examined it and found a 7-10 kg. explosive charge.

People were evacuated from the barricade, and sappers arrived to
detonate the bomb. All the Palestinians who had been in line and around
the barricade were detained for questioning. Quran was questioned for
several hours before being released.

According to defense establishment figures, since the beginning of the
intifada, there have been 29 Palestinians under the age of 18 who
carried out suicide attacks, and 22 others under 18 who carried out
"sacrificial attacks" - in which they opened fire and were killed - in
the territories. Forty others under 18 were arrested on suspicion of
intending to carry out attacks.