[lit-ideas] Re: Israel

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:22:37 -0400

Or, if a hypothetical super-power decided they wanted the U.S. for themselves
and threw out the Americans and took over for themselves.  Would that be
acceptable?  And do you feel people should have a right to take another's home,
declare that home their own and then fight tooth and nail for it while the
person they threw out is homeless?  You haven't answered that question, and
that question is at the root of the problem.  I once proposed that we should
give the Jews Montana and everybody was all up in arms (pun not intended but
appropriate).  It's not okay to give them Montana but it's fine to give them
Palestine.

How do you explain, Julie, that Arabs and Jews coexisted peacefully before the
creation of Israel?

I never said Israel shouldn't  exist.  Israel needs to come down to earth and
understand that it needs to coexist, that there are others in the world hurt by
their usurpation.  Just the very fact that you don't answer the questions while
you do the "you don't want Israel to exist" dance speaks to the fact that
Israel doesn't have a moral leg to stand on.