[lit-ideas] Re: Islamism and Islam

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:36:57 -0800

By saying I suspected the progressive site was cooked up in Euorpe, I meant
by Muslims in Europe.   There are Muslims in Europe and America that sound
Liberal or Moderate, but they don't dare behave like that in Muslim
countries, and if they are too outrageous then a contract is put out on them
as there was on Salmon Rushdie and on Hirsi Ali.  I checked and I was wrong,
they were cooked up in the U.S & U.K. But I was right in thinking they were
not cooked up in a Muslim country.

Here's a Progressive Islam siite - in America:
http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/2004/02/26_progressiveislam/

Here's another one.  This one's in London:
http://www.safraproject.org/about.htm

Here is Daniel Pipes looking for a Moderate Muslim at the Progressive Islam
Union, and not finding one: http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/361 .  Note,
Pipes isn't looking for a Moderate Islamist, just a Moderate Muslim.

Here's one located in Pleasanton New York: http://www.muslimwakeup.com/

I don't think it would do Hirsi Ali any good to hear about Progressive
Muslim organizations in the U.S. & the U.K.   She is opposed to Islam as it
exists but not taking it upon herself to offer an improvement. She's not in
a position to inasmuch as she's a woman.

Lawrence

  _____