[lit-ideas] Re: Islamism and Islam

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 23:13:48 EST

In a message dated 2/25/2006 9:12:33 P.M. Central Standard Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I  suspect she would think Progressive Islam would be a good thing if it
could  gain some legitimacy.

HI,
Yes, if she actually visited the site. Wonder if she has...

That plus the other one are very much giving arguments against the idea  that
the 'extras' that have been added onto Islam are actually supposed to be
there--it reminds me (a little) of the discussion in my part of the world where

the LDS (Mormons) are discussed by the RLDS (now Community of Christ--they
finally got tired of trying to explain the differences--and one of the key ones

was that Brigham Young had added [in their mind] to their Holy Book)

I don't think that they would be considered non-Muslims, though. They seem
to be riding the same line that the emergent Christians are--kind of the
'beating them at their own game' so to speak.

It's not that there are not Fundamentalist Islamic types--and that their
actions need to be addressed. It's just that not all Muslims are the
Fundamentalist sorts. But, the Fundamentalist sorts in Islam are kind of able
to  do a
lot of what the Fundamentalist Christians are able to do--and are awfully  good
at it.

As to its gaining some legitimacy--Omar could better speak to that, I would
think. But, the *thinking* and dissection of Scripture matches a lot of what
I'm  seeing elsewhere in other religious strands ... and those seem to be
growing.  (It may really be a generational thing--I have not done enough
investigation on how the Gen X and Gen Y folks are moving in other
countries...)

Best,
Marlena in Missouri
Always Search and Watching