[lit-ideas] Re: Islam vs the Islamists

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 19:22:57 +0000

Well, great.  If you don't like the subject, change it to one you like.  Here
is the statement I made that you disagreed with: " have not seen either of
these films but the view that there aren't really any moderates -- or if there
are, they don't really matter because they are in the West or if in the Middle
East, hiding out -- is closer to the position I have held for awhile.   Maybe
moderates don't really matter.  Maybe we don't need to know about them."  You
wouldn't have to read too many of my notes to know that I was primarily
concerned about the "Middle East."  The Middle East, Phil!

But I did move over to the Adjunct discussion about Indonesia to show it is not
the bulwark against Jihadism that you implied.  Indonesia is losing ground
against it.

To do something statistically with all of Islam may be interesting, but it is
not to the point.  You seem to be missing or ignoring all my points.  Perhaps
that is the best way to enter an Islamic nation, however.  Blinders.

Lawrence

From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, Jun-23-2007 11:18 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Islam vs the Islamists

Lawrence wrote:

<snipped irrelevant material>

The point of this thread is not how Islamic extremism arose nor that
Islamic extremists have committed atrocities.  The issue is whether
one can find moderate Muslims doing something in response.  I have
pointed to a large, influential Islamic university which explictly
positions itself against Islamic extremism.  I suspect Lawrence isn't
really interested in the question of moderate Islam, preferring
instead to cover all of Islam with brush strokes of extremism.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns