[lit-ideas] Ishmael?

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:11:51 -0500

Has anyone read a little novel called "Ishmael" by one Daniel Quinn?

It's a funny combination -- not terribly well written, rather captivating,
at times horrendously, ponderously preachy, and twined about a couple very
intriguing ideas.  Or rather, I suppose, ideas which have been around since
dirt in a plethora of forms, put forth in a relatively light-weight manner.
It's fluff, but maybe, in a way, it isn't.

For those of you w/ anthropological bents (John?  Irene?  anyone else?) I'd
be particularly interested, if you've run across the book, in the correct
anthropological terminology for the perspectives bandied about.  Some
possibilities have crossed my mind, but none of them seem quite right.  I'd
love to know what anyone else thinks of the book.

Julie Krueger