[lit-ideas] Re: Is this word really necessary?

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:47:07 +0000 (GMT)

Dreich is a useful word, yes, it even sounds right. It reminds me, in that way,
of hiraeth,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiraeth

here's Lampeter's version

hiraeth         1. homesickness n.m.f. grief or sadness after the lost or
departed n. (hiraethau) longing n.m. (hiraethau) yearning n.m. (hiraethau)
nostalgia n.m. (hiraethau) wistfulness n.m. (hiraethau) earnest desire n.m.
(hiraethau)

Judith Evans, Cardiff