[lit-ideas] Re: Is there any such thing as a Moderate Muslim?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:53:38 -0800

Okay, I'll bite.  I just ordered Network from Netflix.

But back to the subject, I was just thinking about the matter of fear.  I
used to do two things that people, generally, were afraid of, free-diving,
and motorcycle-riding.  People typically didn't and perhaps still don't know
what free diving is; so I would explain that it is going out into the ocean
by yourself, holding your breath and with your spear-gun in hand, diving in
hopes of spearing fish.  I would describe the float I used to hold the fish,
my wetsuit, mask, snorkel, fins and spear-gun.  Typically there would be a
short pause and then the inevitable question, "aren't you afraid of sharks?"

And when someone learned I rode a motorcycle down between the lanes of the
San Diego Freeway to work, they would much more quickly say, "you're
insane," or   "You're going to be killed," or "you have a death wish, don't
you?"  Then to be helpful, these people  would be sure to leave articles on
my desk of all the motorcycle accidents they ran across in their local
papers.

I would attempt to get people to think analytically, e.g., there is a
greater chance of getting killed by falling in your bathtub than by getting
eaten by a shark, but that didn't work.  Lot's more people were taking baths
than free-diving, they would say, and besides, they had seen Jaws.  And
there was no hope of changing the minds of people who were convinced that
motorcycle riding was dangerous.  They had known or heard about someone that
was killed or injured and that was all they needed to know.

I discovered articles that argued that people like me were "risk takers."
We were in the minority.  We sky-dived, bungee jumped, free-dived, road
motorcycles and some of us joined the Marine Corps.  Everyone else, the
normal people, knew better, and by the way, knew perfectly well that it was
insane to turn one of our ports over to Dubai.

Lawrence