[lit-ideas] Re: Is there any such thing as a Moderate Muslim?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 14:49:36 -0800

Right, I noticed that gaff as well, but you can't expect a former Marine to
know about the Tamil Tigers.  What I found most interesting was Kelly's
conclusion that the reaction against the Port deal in the U.S. was
indication of a growing prejudice that there are no Moderate Muslims.
Perhaps we've all been focusing on the capital that Democrats have been
making of this widespread prejudice, I know I have, and failed to focus on
the implications that Kelly draws in his article.  An overwhelming majority
of Americans were not willing to accept Bush's assurance that Dubai is
moderate.  Kelly blames the Media for not lauding the Moderates, but there
is evidence that the Media was stirring things up against the Port deal.
I'm reminded of William Randolph Hearst's efforts in 1898 and prior to.
Let's hope the results aren't the same.

Lawrence