[lit-ideas] Is the Surge Working?

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:17:56 -0800

Obama is on a surge:

"Obama's message seems to be catching on among the notoriously pragmatic Iowans. By 55% to 33%, Iowans-who will take part in a Jan. 3 caucus that will be the first test for Democratic presidential candidates-said they favored "new direction and new ideas" over "strength and experience," a new Washington Post/ABC poll found. In July the ratio was 49% to 39%."

"After trailing Clinton in the state most of the year, Obama now leads by 4 points, and he has eliminated her advantage among women voters and older voters. He is also dead even with her when voters are asked whom they trust more to handle the economy, Social Security and the war in Iraq."

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1686633,00.html

On the "illegal aliens" issue (i.e., the Mexicans), Obama made an interesting point:

"These are people who are trying to make a living. I understand they broke the law. But let me tell you something: if the minimum wage in Canada was $100 an hour..."

That's a hell of a point. If the minimum wage in Canada was $100/hr, there's be a tsunami of Americans racing for the Canadian border.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com