[lit-ideas] Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 17:16:33 -0400 (EDT)

In his post on Merwin, Geary philosophises on solitude:

"The existentialists, I guess, would say that we are radically alone in our existence even though there's no such thing as a self unto itself.  Or maybe I'm the only one who would say that.  We create our own selves out of the world we're taught and come to experience.  Let me get outta here before I get into trouble."

I think Popper would say Solipsismus (as the word is spelled in German -- from 'solus ipse') is self-refuting at the W3 level. Or then, again, he would not.

The idea of a 'a self unto itself' is an interesting one -- also that of a self unto himself and that of a self into herself.

Freud saw this when he speaks of the 'id' (the it-self) as opposed to the ego (the self simpliciter).

Martin Buber opposed Freud and speaks of the 'we' rather than the 'ego'. He famously pluralised Socrates's dictum, "I know that I know nothing" into the well-known adage: 'ignoramus'.

Cheers,

Speranza