[lit-ideas] Re: Is it any wonder...

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 13:03:56 -0500

Paul Stone wrote:

. . . .Speaking of which, did anyone recognize the 36th anniversay of Kent State debacle yesterday?

That day will always be remembered. I was in the Army in Vietnam then, waiting for our flight into Cambodia. When I read about the deaths and violence at Kent State, I realized that all the Army could do to me for refusing to participate was jail me; I wouldn't be facing a firing squad. The actions at Kent State gave me the courage to say no to my C.O.. On the 25th anniversary, I went to Kent State and spoke briefly at a meeting of those who were there, thanking them.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lisle, IL, USA