[lit-ideas] Re: Is Huntington right?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:44:36 -0400

Simon, what do you think of what the Japanese did in Nan King, and, more
importantly, their remorse-less reaction to it today?  I don't know about
Britain, but in the U.S. one of the things the justice system looks for is
remorse, regret, sorrow over one's actions.  There was none of that in the
Japanese response.  The Chinese people were demonstrating against their
heartlessness.  What do you think of that situation?

For Paul, I'll bet you haven't noticed all the efforts that were made to
get a book discussion going, both here and on phil lit.  Mike and I were
the only ones discussing Sheltering Sky until David Meyer pulled the plug
on it.  I've written on Hemingway, made sideways references to Joyce and
others.  No takers, not even for movies (how hard is it to watch a movie?).
People obviously don't like to talk about literature.  It is a lot of work,
I agree.  I get the feeling that people want someone to entertain them with
reviews and the like.  Nobody wants to be bothered contributing.

I'm