[lit-ideas] Re: Is Hizbollah a Resistance Organization or not?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 09:55:15 -0400

Love may be all those things, but humans are none of those things.  Love also
isn't promoting or fighting this war.  If you're promoting war, then you are
diametrically opposing your standards.  Clearly, Presbyterians talk a good line
about love while they promote killing.

Also, the governments of Saudi Arabia, Egypt and other pro-western nations
oppose Hezbollah.  The populace supports Hezbollah.  Our inability to see the
people and popular support as the prize, as our goal in the M.E., is the reason
we're doing so badly in the M.E. and especially in Iraq, which could have, will
have, major repercussions throughout the region.   Hezbollah also represents
something that we in the U.S. don't  get, which is that popular support for
religion as politics, for Hezbollah, transcends countries.  We're fighting this
"war" as if there is a country, when in fact we're nailing jello to the wall.
Tom Ricks says it's like we've dug ourselves into a hole and we think the way
out is to dig deeper.  Capturing hearts and minds is what this war is about,
and we're doing exactly the opposite, making enemies all over the place.

Also, you have to define "defend itself".  Does "defend" have no limits?
Anything goes?  Take out a country because two soldiers were captured?  Just
what do you mean by defend?   Lawrence bandies "leftist" and "liberal" and
"Islamofascist" the way others bandy "anti-Semitic".  Bring any thought at all
to bear on knee jerk reactions and slogans and you're a "leftist" or
"anti-Semitic".