[lit-ideas] Is Altruism A Value? no

  • From: adriano paolo shaul gershom palma <palmaadriano@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 09:32:28 +0200

--
palma, KZN

*יד*  וַיַּעַן עָמוֹס, וַיֹּאמֶר אֶל-אֲמַצְיָה, לֹא-נָבִיא אָנֹכִי, וְלֹא
בֶן-נָבִיא אָנֹכִי:  כִּי-בוֹקֵר אָנֹכִי, וּבוֹלֵס שִׁקְמִים.

 palma

University of KwaZulu-Natal

Howard College Campus, philosophy department

Durban 4041 South Africa

Tel off: [+27] 03 12 60 15 91 Fax [+27] 03 12 60 30 31

admn Y. Hordyk : [+27] 03 12 60 22 92

mobile 07 62 36 23 91 from abroad +[27] 76 23 62 391

EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

palma's office 280 (3rd flr of Mtb)

from 2o12\o7\22 p1o2 - check venues&schedule at ad off- there will be a
postgrad offering TBA

 *only when in Europe*:

inst. J. Nicod

29 rue d'Ulm

f-75005 paris france

 ------------------------------

 **

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*The common base of all the Semitic creeds, winners or losers, was the*

*ever present idea of world-worthlessness. Their profound reaction from*

*matter led them to preach bareness, renunciation, poverty; and the*

*atmosphere of this invention stifled the minds of the desert*

*pitilessly. A first knowledge of their sense of the purity of*

*rarefaction was given me in early years, when we had ridden far out*

*over the rolling plains of North Syria to a ruin of the Roman period*

*which the Arabs believed was made by a prince of the border as a*

*desert-palace for his queen. The clay of its building was said to have*

*been kneaded for greater richness, not with water, but with the*

*precious essential oils of flowers. My guides, sniffing the air like*

*dogs, led me from crumbling room to room, saying, 'This is jessamine,*

*this violet, this rose'.*

*
*

*But at last Dahoum drew me: 'Come and smell the very sweetest scent of*

*all', and we went into the main lodging, to the gaping window sockets*

*of its eastern face, and there drank with open mouths of the*

*effortless, empty, eddyless wind of the desert, throbbing past. That*

*slow breath had been born somewhere beyond the distant Euphrates and*

*had dragged its way across many days and nights of dead grass, to its*

*first obstacle, the man-made walls of our broken palace. About them it*

*seemed to fret and linger, murmuring in baby-speech. 'This,' they told*

*me, 'is the best: it has no taste.*

*Thomas Edward Lawrence, the seven pillars of wisdom, ch.3*