[lit-ideas] Re: Is 'All men are mortal' unscientific?

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:03:32 -0500

How about the view that the claim "All men are mortal" is neither scientific nor analytic, but is "phenomenologically" true, that is, true for each person when they examine the structure of their own lives as they live them?

This is the view of William Earle, in THE AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL CONSCIOUSNESS. He says that examining the way we live our lives reveals that death is "built in." We all have the passion to get things done; we value experiences as unique; we experience development and growth, none of which would happen if we never died. If we never died, our lives would lack passion, uniqueness of experience, and psychological development.