[lit-ideas] Re: Irvine Welsh and humour

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:30:46 -0500

DMc:
> Are things really that bad over there, or was Irvine just in appallingly
bad
> taste as usual

I don't know, but I sure laughed when I read it.  The line between social
respect and social sanctimony is an ambiguous one.  One of the English profs
on the old Phil-Lit once tried to silence me by citing Hanna Arendt's claim
that humor was not possible after Auschwitz.  I corrected him by pointing
out that Arendt never said any such thing, rather it was Adorno who had
claimed that poetry was no longer possible after Auschwitz -- which is a
patently absurd statement since it is essentially a poetic one.  The prof
sneered at me as if I were stupid for thinking that he didn't know that.  I
found that very funny.  Probably the only time I ever found him funny.

Mike Geary
Memphis