[lit-ideas] Re: Irene's experiment...

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:49:35 -0500

AA:
> Now some examples.  From anywhere you choose,
> television, radio, medical care, government, shopping malls, you name it.
> Give me some examples of how society, I think the word is appropriate,
> affirms life.

Society itself is life-affirmation, don't you realize that?  But here are some
breakdowns:

Government.  (I only know the U. S. so I'll keep to it)

         1.  The Constitution affirms, life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness.
 --  An affirmation of life.
         2.  The Bill of Rights -- each of which is an affirmation of life.
         3.  Child labor laws -- an affirmation of life.
         4.  OSHA --  an affirmation of life.
         5.  Public education -- an affirmation of life.
         6.  Minimum wage -- an affirmation of life.
         7.  Welfare -- an affirmation of life.
         8.  Medicare and Medicade --  affirmations of life.
         9.  Social security -- an affirmation of life.
        10. Building codes -- an affirmation of life.
        11. Workmen's compensation -- an affirmation of life.
        12. Center for Disease Control -- an affirmation of life.
        13. Labor laws -- an affirmation of life.
        14. Health Departments -- an affirmation of life.
        15. Fire Departments -- an affirmation of life.
        16. Police Departments -- an affirmation of life.
        17. Public Works Departments -- an affirmation of life.
        18. Sanitation Departments -- an affirmation of life.
        19. Government itself is an affirmation of life.

Non-Governmental Organizations

             The list of non-governmental organizations and only those
dedicated to environmentally sustainable development, human rights, or women in
development  -- all affirmations of life -- is huge.  You can check it out
here:  http://docs.lib.duke.edu/igo/guides/ngo/db/a-e.asp

Lists of Groups and Social Organizations that are affirmations of life:
         1.  Environment
http://usparks.about.com/cs/environmentalorgs/a/conservationac.htm  and
http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~brach/Ecology-WWW.html
         2.  Help Center -- Hurricane Katrina -- all life affirmaton
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/katrina/help.center/
         3.  Local Mission Centers -- every city has organizations dedicated to
helping the homeless -- life-affirmation

Every thing that is not destructive of life is life affirming.  Television,
especially PBS, can be very, very life affirming with it's information sharing,
it's documentaries, it's music, it's dramatic programs,  etc.  Jesus!  Speaking
of whom,  every festival both religious and secular is an affirmation of life.
Every traffic light is an affirmation of life.  Every garbage truck is as well.
 Every stray cat fed by a sympathetic person is an affirmation of life.  I
could go on for days.  You amaze me.

Mike Geary
Memphis