[lit-ideas] Re: Iraqi police station

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:26:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- JulieReneB@xxxxxxx wrote:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&e=10&u=/ap/prisoner_abuse_
> calif
> Anyone still buying the "few bad apples" line?  I
> trust everyone saw that the
> lawyers gave Bush "permission" to approve
> torture....  yeah, the WH has
> denied it.  Anyone who believes them, as my Mother
> used to say, stand on your heads
> and stack bee-bees with your eyeballs (where did
> *that* most bizarre of
> bizarre sayings/images come from???

The sole point of posting that report was to show that
torture has not yet been officially, at least not
publicly approved. That it goes on in reality is not
in doubt, but this is not proof of a dramatic change
in the US policies that you seem to
perceive. The US military was applying torture in
Korea, Vietnam, and Afghanistan, and the CIA trained
'torture experts' in South America. There is also
considerable evidence of US police using torture on
the US soil.

O.K.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/