[lit-ideas] Re: Iraq & news

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:55:59 -0800

> > "I wonder if this is intentional to keep Iraq in a broken condition."
>
> And how, precisely, is this a good thing for the U.S.?  Keeping in mind
> that the point of the exercise is to have Iraq up and running as a
> close-to-democracy as soon as possible, I fail to see how keeping Iraq
> in a 'broken condition' is a desirable goal.  I would think the desire
> of Bush & co. is, in two or four years, to have pictures on TV of Iraqis
> driving to work in nice shiny cars.  Whether that is reasonable or not,
> it seems pretty clear that this is their intention.

If in two years Iraq is a shining city on the hill, then there won't be any
need for the US
to be in the region. The US gets sent home and loses influence in the region.
The Arabs will
have their oil and grow stronger.

If the current disaster continues for two (or twenty) years, the US will always
be the
dominant power in the region. The US gets the oil and others don't get the oil.
The US will
have a powerful issue that it can use to beat allies over the head (the "War on
Terror") and
keep the American population in a panicked state ("Vote for safety!")

But that's theory. Look at reality.

This is indeed Israel's strategy: keep the Palestinians weak and shattered. The
schools,
local government, water pumps: everything has been destroyed. And it works
brilliantly:
Israel dominates the Arabs. The government denounces as collaborators whomever
wants to work
with Arab terrorists. Whenever a Palestinian boy in deep frustration throws a
rock at an
Israeli tank, the Israels shrug and say "what else can one do with such
uncivilized
animals?"

So it's a good thing for Israel. I wonder if the US is following the same
strategy.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com