[lit-ideas] Re: Iraq and news

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 21:31:22 EST

I know all about the Iran thing, and I'm suspicious re. NK, but where do  you
get Syria from?  I haven't heard the drumbeats...

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Iraq and news
Date: 1/29/05 8:20:30 P.M. Central Standard Time  From: _andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Disagree. It is unfair of Andreas to offer no  constructive solutions in
> the context of this discussion.

No, it  is not the context of this discussion as to whether I should offer a
constructive
solution.

The issue here is Phil's statement that Iraq  has improved and is headed in
the right
direction. I am asking Phil to prove  that. He retorts that I should offer a
solution. No, I
don't need to offer a  solution so he can change the subject. He needs to
prove his
statement.

Phil says:

> What I have said is that  conditions, both material and social/political,
in Iraq are
>  improving.

He says things are improving. Okay, Phil, prove  that.

He cites several examples:

> On resupplying schools: -  $60 million dollar World Bank grant to rebuild
schools
>  http://tinyurl.com/3l8gl

That is a grant, yes, but a grant is so far  nothing but a promise. Until
schools are built
and the money is spent, it's  just a promise. Kids don't get educated by
promises. So, no
proof  yet.

> - U.S. soldiers working with the schools in their area of  responsibility
> http://www.iraqischools.com/

This is a very  suspicious website. It looks too good. It could be another
one of the
military propaganda efforts, especially with a soldier named "Major  Softy".

But okay, maybe it's real. The success is... eleven schools?  That's it?

> On both schools and hospitals: - truthorfiction.com's  evaluation of
various claims
> http://tinyurl.com/5ohpb

Okay,  Phil, you get a do-over on this one. Why did you post something that
undermines  your
position?

Try this analysis of that email:
http://www.orwelliantimes.com/2004/04/26.html

That original email was  written by a soldier in a military communications
unit. In other
words: US  military propaganda. The soldier's statements are mostly false or
exaggerations.

> On electricity: - USAid's update on the production of  electricity
http://tinyurl.com/6e269

Read the blogs from Iraq: they have  electricity only every once in a while.

Phil concludes:

> I  found the above in five minutes of searching, which should give some
>  indication of how easy it is to find out the positive things happening  in
> Iraq.

Well, it only shows is how HARD it is to find any facts  about the "positive
things happening
in Iraq" (Phil, those are your words).  (You also said "I certainly don't
believe that
everything is 'going just  fine in Iraq' nor have I said anything like that.")

> I am not going  to spend anymore time backing up my claims unless I
> have some sense that  Andreas will live up to his side of the deal.

This is the crux of the  entire discussion: you keep saying that "positive
things are
happening in  Iraq", yet you have not offered any proof whatsoever for that
claim.

Instead, you try to change the subject and ask me to offer a  solution.

Phil: there is no solution. Bush created such a total fiasco  that there is
no solution. Ask
the UN to take over? They're not crazy. They  won't get into that quagmire.
Split the country
into three provinces with a  central federal government? That's an invitation
to civil war.
Simply  declare that Freedom Is Standing Tall and pull out? The whole thing
collapses  into
civil war. Do the Fallujah? Bomb Iraq into the Stone Age and send in  dozens
of death squads
to kill the survivors? Well... no. Stay there five  more years? At least
5,000 more dead US
troops, 50,000 wounded, and another  $250 billion.

You want a solution? There is no solution.

Can it  get worse? Oh, yes. It will get much worse.

Mr. Bush is getting ready to  invade Iran and Syria.

Phil, you gave the ball a whack, but again you hit  the fence. But this time,
it didn't just
bounce back over your end court; it  bounced over the spectator stands and
there it goes,
bouncing down the  street. Quick, Phil! Run and get it!

Why is your position so poor?  Marlena's posting from the Lancet is utterly
devastating to
anyone who wants  to find the positive in Iraq: the US destroyed the
infrastructure and
killed  somewhere around 100,000 people (the Lancet points out that the
number could be  as
high as 200,000; but 100,000 is the best statistical guess). The US
destroyed the
irrigation, the electricity, the airports, the harbors, the  hospitals, and
so on; for lack
of planning (and they had been warned it  would happen), the US allowed every
public building
and ministry to be  looted; the US dissolved the Iraqi army and created the
conditions for
the  widespread revolt against the US that is now killing so many people.
First they
completely shatter a country, and then they claim they can fix it, but so
far, they've not
even restored Iraq to the level it was when they've  started. 100,000 people
died. How do
they plan to restore those lives and  make good for the millions of family
who lost fathers,
mothers, and  children?

But, hey!, they're just Arabs! Who cares about Arabs anyway?  What about the
good ol' USA?
What has this done for the USA? It totally  wrecked our credibility and
global leadership.
Bush can't travel outside the  USA without 900 bodyguards, heck, he can't
even hold his
inauguration  without 10,000 police protecting him. 80% of the planet thinks
Bush is
dangerous. How does Bush plan to fix that problem? How are positive things
going to happen
to the US? The problem isn't just Iraq, it's the whole ball  of wax.

Phil, forget it. Game over. I won't ask you to prove your  statements
anymore, because you
just say stuff that has no  basis.

yrs,
andreas