[lit-ideas] Re: Iraq and news

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:42:17 +0900

On 2005/01/30, at 13:53, Eric Yost wrote:

> What remains is to pick
> a strongman, see him along, arrange a federation, hope for the best,
> remount the army, and retire, with or without Saudi permission, to the
> Saudi bases roughly equidistant to Damascus, Baghdad, and Riyadh.=20
> There,
> protected by the desert, with modern infrastructure, and our backs to
> the sea, which is our metier, we would command the center of gravity =
of
> the Middle East, and with the ability to strike hard, fast and at =
will,
> could enforce responsible behavior upon regimes that have been the
> citadel of our enemies.

This is really incredibly dumb=81\a board game general's view of =
strategy=20
unencumbered by concern with global economic and diplomatic, not to=20
mention humanitarian, issues. Saudi Arabia is to Islam what the Vatican=20=

is to Catholicism, Utah is to Mormons, and Israel is to Jews. One of=20
the original neocon purposes in going after Iraq was to get US forces=20
out of Saudi Arabia, where their presence is a constant casus belli to=20=

Muslims all over the world.

Joseph Nye has a good image for this: Playing two-dimensional chess on=20=

a three-dimensional board. A good way to clobbered.

John McCreery